Friday, October 28, 2005

Friday afternoon update

The EEG results came in. This is what my dad told me over the phone: Her frontal lobes are fine and they look undamaged. The rest of her brain...uh...not so good. I still haven't heard if they think it was a stroke, dialysis, diabetes, lack of blood pressure medicine (doctors say she hadn't filled her prescription in a while...I have my own thoughts there), or a combination of some or all of them.

Joanna, if you read this, I don't know much about the brain. If she were to wake up...what should I expect?

My dad will be home later. We've expressed Stephanie's wishes to the doctor if various situations should come up. She's still fighting. She coughed a bit while still out, and she pulled the O2 monitor thingy off her finger. Or that's what my dad said. Anyways, he wasn't sure if it was a conscious thing or not. She's still posturing and she isn't responding to anything but pain. She responds to pain, dad said. Whatever he means by "responds".

Anyways, this is all I know for now. Things are grave. I'll know more later tonight and I'll post again in the morning.

1 Comments:

At 11:26 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's is hard for me to say with what little info you have, but we use a glascow coma scale to rate how deep of a coma a pt is in I guess you could say. A cough response is a good thing, so is pain response. But that doesn't mean she will wake up and be ok, they are reflexes. I would be more concerned about the fact that they didn't mention anything about brain stem activity, that's what keeps us all going, the breathing reflex and everything else essential for life sits back there. If that isn't intact, there isn't much hope. But it sounds like something remains beyond just her frontal lobes. What sort of meds was she supposed to be taking? Anything ending in -lol or -pril? And is she an insulin dependent diabetic? I know more about diabetes and it's effects on circulation through limbs, the kidneys, etc, but from what it sounds like here, her high sugars could have led to vasucular issues all around, esp if she was supposed to be on blood pressure meds. I am praying for her and your family, I know how tough this is. Let me know if you have any more questions, just email me.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home