Saturday, March 04, 2006

Capote

So Capote. Well I will say the movie is very well done. Well worth the nomination. The movie also portrays Truman as the egotistical, glory-fed, dishonest, cold and calculating person he was. I can't pretend to know the man's true motivations in the way he wrote this book but all I can assume is that he saw the opportunity to write his "non-fiction novel" that would get him the acclaim he always wanted, and it ended with him falling in love with one of the murderers and skewing the facts of his story to make Perry Smith appear as the passive dreamer who had a moment of insanity and Dick Hickock as a domineering and pyschotic human monster. Along the way he falsely befriended and inevitably betrayed the people of Holcomb, KS and more importantly all those that loved Herbert, Bonnie, Nancy and Kenyon. That includes members of my family who now can't have the name "Capote" spoken without flying into a rage.

I can't say I have the same reaction but let's say I see him for who he was and that's that. I know he befriended and got really close to those that were the most affected. He became almost a member of their family and collected (and never returned) various items to help him write a story that the town believed would glorify the rememberance of the Clutters and tell the story of those left behind. Then he betrayed them all by getting the murderers a better lawyer, falling in love with Perry Smith and writing a book that shows the murderers in a good light and ignores the family and friends who's lives were destroyed by this tragedy. In fact, in a side of my family full of drama I can't think of a person that's more despised among them than Truman Capote. In fact, I can't say that I hold Harper Lee, George Plimpton or Jack Dunphy in high regard either simply for their long and continued association with Truman. They knew who he was and they were his friends anyways. I can't decide if that means they condoned what he did or that they loved him despite that. So I don't know if I should respect them more, feel sorry for them, or detest them for condoning his behavior and personality.

Anyways the movie, again, is well worthy of nomination for an Oscar. I'll see Crash and Munich and see if it's good enough to win. I guess either way we'll find out tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home