Saturday, August 19, 2006

Opening Day...

Today is opening day for the English Premier League. It would be absolutely wonderful if I'd have done my research but given that I just had one thistle of a week I hope you'll forgive me.
Still, as play starts today I have to give my season's prediction so here's what I'm going with having done no real research at all this pre-season...

1. Chelsea
2. Manchester United
3. Liverpool
4. Arsenal
5. Blackburn
6. Tottenham Hotspur
7. Bolton
8. Reading
9. Newcastle United
10. West Ham United
11. Middlesbrough
12. Wigan Athletic
13. Everton
14. Aston Villa
15. Manchester City
16. Portsmouth
17. Charlton Athletic
18. Fulham
19. Watford
20. Sheffield United

As for the league below, I'll predict a one-two punch of Crystal Palace and Norwich City with Birmingham City returning to the Premiership after a season down. It will be nice to see my Canaries on FSC next season. They just have to get some help on the right flank in midfield. Now that Green is gone and we still have some money from the Ashton move to West Ham, it'll be nice to see us get a decent midfielder. Can we afford one of Chelsea's 15 Midfielders? Yeah right. Like anyone is going from Chelsea to NCFC.

So far today I'm looking close. Portsmouth won which was a bit of a shock as did Reading which made me happy. Arsenal surprised me with a 1-1 draw against Aston Villa who has a storied history as one of the most successful English clubs in history but has been VERY weak the last few years. Norwich tied with Derby County to earn their 7th point and they still can't score on the road. 2 wins, 1 tie, 1 loss. Nice, but I'm hoping for more confident feet up front from some of the outside midfielders like Lee Croft.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home