Thursday, August 26, 2004

Times they are a changin...

Made a big mistake the other night and I can't get the images out of my head. You see Victoria, Rachel and I were watching Olympic diving. Rachel likes this Canadian diver from Montreal. Alexander something. Anyways, my mind rolled back to that fateful day in 1988 when Greg Louganis struck a diving board during a dive. So in doing that search for the video I ran across a morning show website. I don't know where the show is broadcast but that doesn't matter.

On their site is a list of their most memorable sports injuries. Of course there's Owen Hart, Joe Theisman, Greg Louganis, Sid Vicious, and a few others (though they missed Dave Dravecky or Tony Saunders). Among this list was the incident of March 22, 1989. Any hockey fan and some who don't care for hockey may remember this date.

You see 1989 was the year of the earthquake in San Francisco during the World Series. It's the year a world class female surfer had her arm bitten off by a shark. It wasn't a good year for sports injuries and March 22nd was no different. For those who know I'll say the words Clint Malarchuk. For those that don't know...feel grateful you don't.

While thinking of all the horrific and terrible injuries that could ever conceivably happen in hockey I've seen just about all of them come true just during the last 15 years. This incident for me is the worst of all. It was televised. ESPN did a piece on it a while back when talking about freak injuries. Now this incident was a complete accident but the video will haunt me for years. Malarchuk is fine. In fact he returned to the rink after 3 weeks and played four more years before retiring. 1/8th of an inch. He came that close. Anyways it's been haunting me the last couple days so I thought I'd bring it up.

I'll return with more happy things later. For those sensitive to this sort of topic, please accept my apologies.

1 Comments:

At 7:40 PM , Blogger Butch Rosser said...

God, yes. Malarchuk is still far away number 1 and the worst injury I've ever seen. I threw up with no prior prompting when I saw that on SportsCenter. #2 would be Napoleon Kauffman's leg turning all the way around live on Monday Night Football, but that's still lightyears behind Malachurk.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home