Thursday, October 28, 2004

AT LAST!

So I wish I was a bit more prepared than Butch. I admit. I lacked faith. If I knew last night would be the night we'd have been at Seau's with Butch and P. Bartlett watching the game. Instead I figured they'd lose one or two before making it final. My appologies to Butch and to Red Sox Nation. You see, I married into the Nation. I've only been a Royal Rooter since 1998. That year my beloved Padres made the World Series only to be swept. They were even competitive and by all rights should have won Games one and three. Oh well. It's the past and today isn't a day for the Padres. It's a day for the Red Sox. WORLD CHAMPIONS AT LAST.

The feeling? Well for me the closest thing I can compare it to is meeting up with an old friend after a long absence. It's happened twice. Once with an ex-girlfriend turned friend who I hadn't seen in 3 years. Then it happened with Butch, a childhood friend who I hadn't seen in darn near 13. It's VERY close to the way I felt after Super Bowl XXXVII. FINALLY. All the waiting. All the heartache. The infamous P. Bart and I shared stories of 1986 but unfortunately I didn't have the guts (or cold heart) to tell him that other than Tom Seaver I didn't like the 1986 Red Sox. I was rooting for the Mets in that series. I was happy at the end of that series. They won 108 regular season games and had beat the Astros who I had loved to that point. Then starting in 1987 I was a Padres fan and have been ever since. Still...the heartbreak of 1986 he shared. How could I tell him it was my joy at the time? How could I just break his heart like that? I couldn't. Other than him reading this post, he'll never know. I couldn't do that to him. He's too old.

Anyways...time to work but like a friend of the Sports Guy said..."In March I'll be walking down the street and then break into a Flinstone Dance for no apparent reason."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home